Windows PowerShell® 5.0 includes significant new features that extend its use, improve its usability, and allow you to control & manage Windows-based environments more easily. Windows Server 2012 R2 introduced the notion of Desired State Configuration, PowerShell 5.0 advances this concept through OneGet.
- OneGet is a new module which way to search and install hundreds of software packages from the repository and this is known Chocolatey repository.
- It is a package manager for Windows. It’s mission to be a framework for installing applications and tools that you need for a Windows computer.
- It uses PowerShell to deliver packages built on the NuGet infrastructure.
Flow of using repository
- List and manage software repositories for packages that can be installed.
- Search and filter your repositories.
- Install/uninstall packages from windows using the repositories.
- Get started with the command: Import-Module -Name OneGet.
Installing Windows PowerShell in window’s 8.1
- Windows PowerShell 5.0 is installed by default on Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview and Windows 10.
- To install Windows PowerShell 5.0 on Windows Server 2012 R2/Windows 8.1 Enterprise/Windows 8.1 Pro we need to download and install Windows Management Framework 5.0 here.
- Don’t forgot to read the download details and meet all system requirements before starting your installation.
Windows Management Framework 5.0 Contains?
- Contains updates for Windows PowerShell and Windows PowerShell ISE.
- Package Management cmdlets.
- Network Switch cmdlets.
- Windows PowerShell Desired State Configuration (DSC)
To uninstall Windows Management Framework 5.0:
Navigate to the Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features\Uninstall a program. You are looking for Windows Management Framework 5.0.